SSCS at the AAR Annual Meeting
Friday 18 November - Saturday 19 November
San Antonio, Texas
SSCS @ AAR 2016 At a Glance PDF
Tymen Hall, Oblate School of Theology
285 Oblate Drive, San Antonio, TX 78216
Transportation will be available, leaving the convention area around 2:15 PM.
Please RSVP to Renata Furst (email@example.com) by Septermber 20. This will allow us to get a head count for transportation.
3:00 to 4:15
Community Organizing and the Spirituality of Undocumented Migrants in the Context of San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is a major transition point for undocumented immigrants making their way to other parts of the country. COPS/Metro Alliance is an interfaith coalition of congregations, schools and unions who come together to improve the life of communities, especially of undocumented migrants. COPS director Jorge Montiel and several immigrants will be sharing their experiences with participants in this event.
4:30 to 5:30
The Spirituality of Hispanic Immigrants from a National Perspective. This is an opportunity for SSCS members to dialogue with a new generation of scholars working in the field of Hispanic spirituality. Members of the Hispanic Theological Initiative will share their work and experiences in this field, with discussion.
6:15 Shuttles return to the convention area.
Would you like to know more about the organizations enriching this event?
COPS/ Metro Alliance
Hispanic Theological Initiative
San Antonio Food Bank
Presidential Address (P19-111): Spirituality and Motherwork: Explorations in Women’s Life Writing, Claire Wolfteich, SSCS President
SSCS Business Meeting, Pieter G. R. de Villiers, SSCS Vice President/President-elect presiding
Convention Center 217-A (2nd Level - West)
Sessions of the Christian Spirituality Group of the AAR
Biblical Spirituality: Engaging Sandra Schneiders's The Revelatory Text (Michael Glazier Books, 1999) (A20-122)
Sunday - 9:00 AM-11:30 AM
Grand Hyatt - Lone Star F (2nd Level)
Bernadette Flanagan, SpIRE, Presiding
- Bryan Kevin Brown, Boston College: Prophets in Mission to the World: Prophecy in the Biblical Spirituality of Sandra Schneiders
- Huub Welzen, Titus Brandsma Instituut, Nijmgeen: The Revelatory Text (Glazier Books, 1999) and the Prologue of the Gospel of Luke (Luke 1:1-4)
- Maeve Louise Heaney, Australian Catholic University: Through Music: A Hermeneutical Exploration
of the Revelatory Text of John 4: 1-42, in Performative Key
Business Meeting: Margaret Benefiel, Andover Newton Theological School; Glenn Young, Rockhurst University
Borderline Christian Spiritualities: Hybrid Pieties in the Borderlands (A20-207)
Sunday - 1:00 PM-2:30 PM
Grand Hyatt - Republic B (4th Level)
Cosponsored with the World Christianity Group
Anita Houck, Saint Mary's College, Presiding
- Matthew J. Pereira, Loyola Marymount University: Borderland Monks: Hybridity at the Frontier Lands of the Sixth Century
- Minji Lee, Rice University, Religious Studies: Borderlines between Nations, Bodies, and Sainthoods: The Life of Korean Catholic Nun Theresa Hwang
- Leo Guardado, University of Notre Dame: Luchando for Survival: Migrant Women and Mujerista Theology
Spirituality and the Natural World (A21-122)
Monday - 9:00 AM-11:30 AM
Convention Center 217-A (2nd Level - West)
Timothy Robinson, Brite Divinity School, Presiding
- Janna Gosselin, New Theological Seminary of the West: Julian of Norwich and Christian Creation Care: The Hazelnut Image and the Servant as Worshipful Gardener
- Jessica Smith, Independent Scholar: Beauty and the Natural World: Attention, Restraint, Surrender
- Halvard Johannessen, Practical-Theological Seminary, University of Oslo: A Lutheran Response to Secularization? The Emergence of Nature Spirituality in Church of Norway
- Rachel Wheeler, Graduate Theological Union: Of Trash and Treasure: A Spirituality of Zero Waste
Emerging Scholars Lunch
Saturday, 11:30AM-1:00 PM
All Emerging Scholars (graduate students, recent graduates, and pretenure faculty) are invited for lunch at Rosario’s (Southtown), 910 S. Alamo St., San Antonio 78205, (210) 223-1806. The SSCS will provide scholarships to defray costs. The group will leave from the SSCS meeting (Convention Center-217A) at 11:30. If you need to meet the group at Rosario’s, please make arrangements with Shannon McAlister: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the lunch or Emerging Scholars, please contact Shannon McAlister or George Faithful (email@example.com)Co-coordinators.
Society Committee Meetings
Spiritus Editorial Board Meeting (M19-3)
Saturday, 7:00-8:30 AM Marriott Rivercenter (Conference Room 11)
International Relations Committee Meeting (P19-207)
Saturday, 1:30-2:30 PM Hilton Palacio del Rio-La Corona (Mezzanine Level)
Board of Directors Meeting (P20-203)
Sunday, 2:45-4:45 PM Marriott Riverwalk-Bowie (2nd Level)
Board of Directors Dinner
Sunday, 7:00PM Location TBA